Thursday, May 14, 2009

How it all started

It started with two guys watching bad sci-fi movies till 3am, flipping channels between Spike TV and the History Channel and conversations about what medieval spaceships would look like……and you have Backspace. And I never thought that the random, goofy ideas put together by Jeremy, Casey and myself would drawn out in a weekly web comic. After a lot of technical problems (one including voiceovers that sounded like they were recorded in a men’s room) we faced on the Backspace flash animation project, I thought this would be an idea that would be left for dead. Until Jeremy proposed that we just make it into a comic strip, and I said, “Yeah, we can do that.” So I started on character designs, (which weren’t that difficult seeing that they were just exaggerated versions of ourselves) and Jeremy revised the scripts into a comic strip friendly format. Within a matter of weeks we had our characters drawn and colored thanks to Casey’s quick coloring skills, and then it seemed like within another week we had our first “strip” done.


For the last month I have had the pleasure of drawing Abe Lincoln kicking the crap out of ninjas, and I’ve enjoyed the reaction I get from people who pass by me on the MAX (Portland’s light rail train system, for those who don’t know what it is) and say, “is that Abe Lincoln with a shotgun?” Yes it is, and the best is yet to come. This ship has set sail, sink or swim, and we thank all our friends and future readers for checking out our site and giving us your support!


Currently I’m drawing out a wallpaper and a new t-shirt (be sure to take a peek at the Action Abe shirts!) and every now and then I’ll be drawing out what Jeremy and I will refer to as “Backspace Shorts,” which will be ideas we really couldn’t place in a script and were funny by themselves. Or they will be one of my random drawings that I find funny in my warped, disturbed mind.


I’ll end this blog with a shout out to Nate Piekos at Blambot.com, who at which has helped us out with our comic fonts. So thank you Nate, thank very much! You can check out Nate’s site (as well as his wonderful comic strip call “Atland.”) by going to our “Friends of Backspace” section.


-Kyle

1 comment:

  1. I think it's safe to say that The History Channel, Discovery & Spike TV resulted in like 80% of the discussions that fueled the creation of some of the comic strips.

    Hey, do you remember quite awhile back when we were watching The Discover Channel at like 2 am and they had that terrible documentary on finding the Ice Man?

    The trasnlation was terrible and monotone. "And then i said, oh look, a body." Like that really captures the moment when you stumble upon a dead body. "Oh look, another body." like that's a normal occurance when out hiking.

    ... well, maybe it is. I don't know, i don't go hiking that often.

    ReplyDelete